Friday, September 10, 2010

Salerno's: Lexington, Virginia


Some of you are well aware I made the cross-country drive from New York to LA, then back to Salt Lake City. As part of this journey I had the chance to stop at some places that I once loved and some that were only a myth to be confirmed real.

This stop in Lexington, Virginia, is one that I once loved. I went to school about 7 miles away in the middle of nowhere and decent food was hard to come by. Salerno's became a staple. I actually ended up working there the last year I lived in Virginia. It was actually really fun.

The menu was rather large, including all sort of cold and hot subs, pizza, salads, pasta, and desserts. My favorites? Oh boy. The chicken ranch pizza, BBQ chicken pizza, roast beef cold sub, and the cheesesteak. Oh and one other: The Nate Special. It is not called the Nate Special anymore, but when it was first invented it was named after it's creator, who happens to be a friend of mine. The Nate Special is essentially a hot wing sandwich. That's exactly what it tastes like.

It is a friendly place to go to and the owner will often come around and chat it up with you as you dine. It's about 45 minutes North of Roanoke on I-81.

Salerno's
115 S Jefferson St
Lexington, VA
(picture shown is Chicken Ranch pizza)

No comments:

Post a Comment